"I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the
best calorie burner.
I believe in kissing, kissing a lot.
I believe in being strong when everything

seems to be going wrong.
I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls.
I believe that tomorrow is another day

and I believe in miracles." — Audrey Hepburn

Saturday, November 12, 2011

TUTT (+1) - Guy Fawkes

Well, late again - just for a change.....I have also totally forgotten which week we are in....I just know it is more then 52, which I think is pretty good going - we (should that be I) may not always get my posting done on a Thursday and in fact sometimes, do not get my photo to my partners on time....;but to have kept on with the challenge (and still lovin' it) is a pretty good achievement, so here is a pat on the back for myself and my special "full time" partner, who has grown photographically and personally on this journey and also a big thank you and pat on the back to our two "extra" partners who have added a sparkle to the challenge in the past few months....
Our theme this week was suggested by Mariette....Guy Fawkes...every year Trev and Mariette and Maxine, buy some fireworks and have a little private fireworks display - Maxine gets very excited every year...This is Mariette's favourite photo: -
In Claire's corner of the world, they have an annual community fireworks display on the rugby field close to them...so she had lots of scope and she read up on fireworks photography prior to the event, so she set up her tripod and this is her favourite of the resulting pictures: -
For as long as I can remember, we have always been able to see some fireworks display from our own back garden, despite the fact that it has been illegal in SA for some years to set off fireworks in a residential area....every year we have had pets (mainly dogs) running away or jumping through glass windows in a terrified effort to get away from the noise...Anyway, I thought it would be easy to see some fireworks, and guess what on the night nothing, absolutely zilch/zero/neder.....so I had to improvise...My grandmother (my moms mom) was born on the 5th November - brilliant, here is a scanned picture of my mom's family, my granny, grandpa and my mom, my mom's youngest sister (my Aunt) and my mom's younger brother, (my Uncle)...My mom is the young girl with her hair in a upswept style...

Whilst I was going through, old family photos, I came across a letter, which I read without embaressment or guilt - it was not a love letter, it was thank you letter, (dated 1st August 1972) from one of my cousins to my mom and dad, thanking them for the birthday gift of $1 (Rhodesian dollar)....

what really made me chuckle and think was his comment "it came in very handy, believe me you"....First of all, I ask myself, what is considered "handy"...did it go towards paying rent in an otherwise tough month, how much petrol could he have put in his car or motorbike with it, how many groceries could he have bought with it....Considering that the Rhodesian currency no longer exists, if the dollar had kept in mint condition, what would it be worth today AND how much would a person need to recieve today, in order for it to be "very handy".....I guess like with so many things it is relative to the person and their needs at that moment in time...
That's my post for this week, next week should be challenging - Claire has suggested "DESK"....hmmmmm, thinking hard about this one....
Lots of love

3 comments:

  1. I can honestly say I don't miss the fireworks that was set off in the backyards. I do love the fireworks on the beach with the opening of the Season...and I would love to capture photos of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post Linda-Maree. (I also can't remember what week it is anymore...which was why I left it off this week)
    It's funny how our Jessi isn't frightened by fireworks - maybe it's the double-glazed windows over here (very sound-proof). Chat soon. M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh yes, the year is speeding to an end! And a Zim dollar!

    ReplyDelete